The connection between oral language and reading is critical. Children who are exposed to a large amount of oral language are much more successful in reading than those who are not. Children need to have knowledge of how language works to become good readers and to have comprehension of what they are reading. Oral language is one of the most effective ways I have found to develops students' vocabulary. Students with well developed vocabularies are able to become better readers.
The school I work in has a very high percentage of both ELL students and low income students. I have found it is necessary to allow time everyday for children to be involved with oral language. I frequently use cooperative group work with carefully selected group members to allow discussions between students. I also encourage discussion both between myself and the students and between groups of students on a daily basis. I put emphasis on allowing students to discuss their thinking in all subject areas and do my best to ask questions in which the answers require explanation when possible.
Thursday, August 27, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment